There haven't been any comments yet, be the first to share your ideas about this recipe!
2 c. All-purpose flour
1 1/3 c. White sugar
1 tsp. Salt
1 tbsp. Baking powder
1 Small package instant vanilla pudding
2 Very ripe bananas; mashed
2 Large eggs
3/4 c. Vegetable oil
3/4 c. Cream sherry
3 c. Powdered sugar
1 c. Cream sherry
Makes about 8 4-inch mini bundt cakes or one standard size bundt cake.
Serves: 8 - 12
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Credit for the original version of this recipe goes to one of my good law school friends, who first introduced me to this irresistible confection. The banana component was a happy accident - I wanted to make the cake one day and realized I only had 2 eggs (instead of the 4 originally required) but I had two very, very ripe bananas. I figured what the heck - I like banana bread, I like sherry cake, I'll probably like banana sherry cake. The result was this little number, and it definitely did not disappoint. The sherry glaze is a pretty touch and can also help keep some of the moisture in the cake. The recipe makes about 8 mini Bundt pans or a full-size Bundt pan, whichever you prefer.
seasonal RECIPES for those who love to EAT
1. Preheat oven to 350°F and set rack in the center position.
2. Spray Bundt pan (or pans) thoroughly with non-stick cooking spray.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients with a fork.
4. In another mixing bowl, whisk together banana, eggs, oil and 3/4 cup sherry until nearly smooth.
5. Add the liquid ingredients slowly to the bowl of dry ingredients and beat with an electric mixer or whisk until batter is smooth.
6. Pour the batter into Bundt pan(s) and level the surface.
7. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until center is set and a toothpick comes out clean.
8. Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes. Transfer cake from the pan to a cooling rack.
9. While the cake is cooling, make the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar and remaining sherry until smooth.
10. Once the cake is nearly room temperature, drizzle with glaze and serve.