There haven't been any comments yet, be the first to share your ideas about this recipe!
Hand pies are incredibly versatile; you can stuff them with savory or sweet fillings and they make great quick lunches or side dishes. If you like making your own pie pastry, go for it! The ready-made pastry in the refrigerator section of your local grocery store will also do quite nicely, and makes your prep time a snap.
1. If making your own pastry dough, do so about one hour before you want to start cooking (to allow time for the dough to chill). *NOTE: The dough recipe link above is for a sweet pie; if using that pastry for
this pie, roll the dough out in flour, not powdered sugar.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F.
3. Trim the stems from the broccoli and break the heads apart into small florets (about 1/2 inch).
4. If you made your own pastry dough, roll out the dough, working with half at a time, to create a 12-inch circle or square, about 1/4-inch to 1/8-inch thick. If using ready-made dough, unroll one of the pieces first.
5. Cut the dough in half with a small, sharp knife. Leaving about 1/2 inch space around the edges, sprinkle about 1/4 of the cheese toward the end of one of the pieces of dough. Top with about 1/4 of the broccoli and mushrooms.
6. Gently fold the other end of the dough over the veggies and crimp the edges together to seal. Be careful not to press too hard or you will pierce the dough with the filling.
7. Repeat with the remaining dough and filling, so that you have 4 hand pies when you are finished.
8. Transfer the hand pies to a large cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or lightly coated with non-stick spray.
9. In a bowl, scramble the egg and the cold water. Brush the pies with the egg and water mixture. Cut one or two small slits into the top of each pie to vent. Bake for 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown and flaky.
10. Remove from the oven, let cool for 5 minutes and serve. (If you need to reheat, these are best in a
toaster oven or the regular oven.)
seasonal RECIPES for those who love to EAT
Prep. Time: 10 minutes (or 1 hour if making your own pastry
Cook Time: 25 minutes
1/2 lb. Broccoli
1/4 lb. Crimini mushrooms; chopped
1 c. Cheddar; shredded
Pastry for a 10” pie (See Steps 1-4 & 10)
1 tbsp. Cold water
*NOTE: The dough recipe link above is for a sweet pie; if using that pastry for this pie, roll the dough out in flour, not powdered sugar.