2 c. Heavy cream
1/2 c. + 3 tbsp. Sugar
6 Egg yokes
1/8 tsp. Salt
1/2 c. Peach preserves
1/2 c. Peach; diced
Ice cream mixer & hand mixer
Serves: 4 to 6
Prep. Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 12 to 20 hours
My momma used to make us peach ice cream when I was little – to me, it is the perfect end to a hot day and the best balm for sunburned lips. This recipe uses peach preserves but you could also substitute the full amount with finely diced fresh peaches.
seasonal RECIPES for those who love to EAT
There haven't been any comments yet, be the first to share your ideas about this recipe!
1. In a large saucepot, combine cream and 1/2 cup sugar and just barely bring to a boil. Remove cream from heat and cover to keep warm.
2. Beat egg yolks, 3 tablespoons sugar, and salt. Beat until volume has increased by a factor of 3 and stiff ribbons form (5 to 8 minutes on high with a hand mixer).
3. Slowly beat in cream mixture and then return everything to the saucepot.
4. Heat saucepot gently, stirring frequently until mixture is slightly thickened (do not boil!)
5. Transfer to a heat-proof bowl and let cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
6. Stir in peach preserves and diced peaches and chill overnight.
7. Transfer the mixture from the refrigerator to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.
8. If you do not have an ice cream maker, transfer the mixture to a metal bowl and place the bowl on a level surface in your freezer. Every 10 to 15 minutes, stir the mixture, scraping down the sides of the bowl. Continue this for 2 to 3 hours, then let the ice cream harden overnight.