seasonal RECIPES for those who love to EAT
1 Ripe fresh pomegranate
2 Large ruby red grapefruit
2 Heads red-tipped lettuce
1 c. Hazelnuts; roughly chopped
1 c. Mascarpone cheese
1/2 c. Milk
1/2 c. White balsamic vinegar
Zest from one whole lemon
2 tbsp. Freshly ground black pepper.
Prep. Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Winter typically brings rainy (or snowy) days and chilly nights, and January in particular can be a bit dreary. The holidays are past, and if you’re like me you’re probably regretting the few extra cookies and helpings of pie you succumbed to at all those festive gatherings. Luckily, winter also brings citrus season and this bright, fresh salad is a great way to incorporate citrus flavors into a light, waist-line-friendly lunch or first course. The lettuce with red tipped leaves gives the salad a nice color combination, but you can substitute your favorite greens if you prefer.
1. Using a large chef’s knife, cut the pomegranate into quarters. (Do this slowly to limit the amount of juice that splatters. Pomegranate juice will stain everything – your counter, your clothes and your cutting board. You can limit this by working carefully and rinsing all of your tools under cool running water as soon as possible. If you do spill, wipe the juice up immediately if possible.)
2. Gently remove the seeds from inside the pomegranate, using your fingers to pry them away from the rind. Drop seeds into a colander with small holes. Remove and discard any small bits of rind and then rinse seeds under cool water. Set aside to drain.
3. Cut the grapefruit into wedges (about 12 total) and trim away peel. Cut wedges into small chunks. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside.
4. In a dry skillet over medium high heat, toast hazelnut pieces until just beginning to brown (about 5 minutes). Watch them closely – they burn easily! Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
5. Remove leaves from heads of lettuce; rinse with cool water and lay on a clean dishtowel to drain.
6. In a medium mixing bowl, stir mascarpone cheese to loosen. Slowly whisk in milk and white balsamic vinegar, stirring until smooth. Add lemon zest and black pepper; mix well.
7. Stack 5 to 6 lettuce leaves on top of one another and roll up like a cigar. Starting away from the stem end, cut leaves into thin strips. Repeat with remaining lettuce leaves. Transfer lettuce to a large mixing bowl.
8. Drizzle lettuce with dressing and toss to coat evenly. Divide lettuce into 4 parts and arrange in low serving bowls or on salad plates. Top each dish with 1/4 of the toasted hazelnuts, grapefruit pieces and pomegranate
pieces. Drizzle with any remaining dressing and serve immediately.
There haven't been any comments yet, be the first to share your ideas about this recipe!