There haven't been any comments yet, be the first to share your ideas about this recipe!
1. Preheat oven to 350°F; place rack in center position.
2. Drain and rinse the corn and beans.
3. In a 9”x13” glass baking dish, combine the rice, salsa, corn, beans, water, cilantro and half of the cheese. Stir until well combined.
4. If chicken is frozen, arrange in a single layer on top of rice mixture.
5. Cover the dish tightly and bake for 45 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. (If mixture looks dry and rice is still hard, sprinkle about 1/3 cup additional water over rice mixture.) If using thawed chicken breasts, bake just the rice mixture, covered, for 25 minutes, then arrange chicken on top, cover
the dish tightly again and bake for remaining 20 minutes.
6. Remove cover, sprinkle remaining cheese over chicken breasts and bake uncovered for 10 minutes more, or until cheese is melted.
7. Remove from the oven and let stand for approximately 5 minutes before serving.
4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (either fresh or frozen)
1 (15 oz.) can Sweet yellow corn
1 (15 oz.) can Low sodium black beans
1 c. Uncooked white rice (not minute rice)
1 c. Chunky salsa
3/4 c. Water
1/2 c. Fresh cilantro, minced finely
2 c. Finely shredded cheese, preferably a Mexican or taco blend
Prep. Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
If you’re in the mood for a simple but hearty week-night dinner, this dish fits the bill perfectly. Black beans, corn and salsa bake together with rice to create a south-western inspired one-pot-wonder that will satisfy your craving for comfort food without leaving you uncomfortably full. You can use any salsa you like, including smooth or chunky varieties, and if you want to add a little extra kick try chopping up one or two of your favorite peppers and stirring them into the mix. (Remember that leaving seeds in your chili peppers will increase the spice level dramatically.)
seasonal RECIPES for those who love to EAT