seasonal RECIPES for those who love to EAT
There haven't been any comments yet, be the first to share your ideas about this recipe!
1. Slice the tops from the tomatoes and scoop out the centers, discard seeds and insides.
2. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium-high heat until the bacon starts sizzling and begins to crisp (about 5 minutes). Add the diced potato and spread into a single layer. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potato begins to soften but isn’t mushy or crumbly.
3. Add white beans and cook for another 5 minutes or until the potato is cooked to fork-tender.
4. Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
5. Mix in ricotta cheese and chives; add salt and pepper to taste. Fill the tomato shells with the bean and potato mixture and serve warm. (If you want to reheat later, pop each tomato in the microwave for 30 to 45 seconds.)
4 large Tomatoes
1/2 lb. Smoked bacon; chopped
1/2 lb. White or yellow new potatoes; diced
1 can White beans; drained
3 tbsp. Chives; minced
1/2 c. Ricotta cheese
Prep. Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Try to find large, plump tomatoes that are the slicing varieties (Big Boy, Early Girl, etc.) As much as I love heirloom tomatoes, they don’t work as well for this recipe because they have too much “meat” in the center. You need tomatoes that you can hollow out fairly easily. Be gentle with them too, it’s pretty easy to split the sides when scooping out the seeds.