1. Place the eggs in a saucepot and cover with water; bring to a gentle boil then turn off the heat.
2. Cover and let sit until cooled to the touch (don’t burn yourself!).
3. When eggs are cool enough to handle, peel and chop finely. (You can also place the eggs in a food processor and pulse a few times or run them through a food mill.)
4. Transfer eggs to a mixing bowl and stir in mayonnaise, mustard, paprika, salt and pepper.
5. Spread a thin layer of mustard on two slices of bread. Top one slice with 1/4 of the egg salad and add 1/4 of the sprouts. Close the sandwich with the second slice of bread and cut into triangles (4 to 8 per sandwich).
6. Repeat with the remaining slices of bread, egg salad, and sprouts. Arrange on a platter and serve immediately or cover to keep the bread from drying.
Egg salad appears in this recipe all dressed up with dark rye bread and tender sprouts. Together, they make delicate little tea sandwiches, perfect for snacking and passing at your next brunch or cocktail party. They are quick to assemble and I highly encourage trying different mustards until you hit upon your favorite. (My preference is often a stone-ground variety, but there are hundreds to choose from.)
seasonal RECIPES for those who love to EAT
Makes: 16 to 24 bites
Prep. Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
8 eggs; preferably a few days old
1/4 c. Mayonnaise
2 tbsp. Mustard + extra
2 tsp. Paprika
8 slices Dark rye bread
1/2 c. Sprouts
There haven't been any comments yet, be the first to share your ideas about this recipe!